Pages

Monday 19 February 2018

American Horned Lark Twitch at Staines Reservoir

18th February 2018
Since November, I had wanted to go and see the American Horned Lark that had somehow ended up in Staines Reservoir, near Heathrow Airport (it will probably become my fourth patch). I figured out that the site was pretty local, and finally, today, my dream came true.

I ran, fuelled by determination, along the long causeway, to where a cluster of twitchers, armed with scopes and cameras were. One of them showed me a little bird with brown feathers and a yellow face- the unmistakable American Horned Lark. I stood there for about half an hour, taking pictures of the bird. Here are my best:


Me running to the twitch, with the Shard in the background. I was thinking so much about the Lark that I didn't see my favourite building! (copyright my brother)

American Horned Lark- on the north side of the causeway

Feeding

Hopping along the causeway

After twitching for a bit, I decided to have a look at some of the other birds that call the Reservoir home:

My first Meadow Pipit

Tufted Ducks

A slightly blurry image of Shelducks on a raft (spot the Great Crested Grebe)

No comments:

Post a Comment