Pages

Monday 3 July 2017

Visit to Ras-Al-Khor

10th April 2017
In the Easter holidays, I paid our annual visit to Dubai, where we met family. I had been waiting for two years to come to the great Ras-Al-Khor Nature Reserve, a freshwater wetland with thousands of Greater and Lesser Flamingos. This year, we finally went. 

Two Lesser Flamingos wading beside a fallen tree

 Kentish Plovers- they are scarce in Britain


My first Little Ringed Plover

A Little Egret stands by the bank


I have only ever seen Black-winged Stilts in captivity- this was a real treat

A Collared Dove rests in a tree

 A picture with two 'first' species: Thanks to a long-range scope in our hide, I saw my first Gull-billed Terns. also, it was only after I took this photo did I realise that one interesting-looking Flamingo was my first Spoonbill!


After an amazing time at this hide, I drove for five minutes to the next hide, where many different species appeared.

 While driving to the next hide, I took this horrible photo of my first Great Egret

 Try counting!

Greater Flamingos flying gracefully over the salt marsh

A Golden Plover


My first Western Reef Heron. Along with the Great Cormorant, these are the only two Cormorant species I have ever seen.

I will hopefully create a post about the birds I saw frequently my Grandparents' house in Dubai.

















1 comment:

  1. Do you have a spam issue on this website; I also am a blogger, and I was curious about your situation; we have created some nice practices and we are looking to trade strategies with others, why not shoot me an email if interested.
    shipping containers for sale near me

    ReplyDelete