Pages

Saturday 3 March 2018

Patch Update

3rd March 2018
Today I visited my main patch, Ruislip Lido, where the entire reservoir was frozen: It was very interesting to see how the birds coped with the ice! I was also very proud, as a few months ago, I complained to Hillingdon Council about some incorrect signs ('they had a picture of a White-faced Whistling Duck above the caption 'Egyptian Goose'!), and I was told by my MP that the Council were going to create new signs. Today was the first time I saw them at the Lido, and I felt so happy!

One of the new signs!

The reservoir has frozen! (mostly)

Mallards

Moorhen

Canada Geese sitting on the ice

Black Headed Gulls

Feeding the birds- they must have been so hungry!

A hybrid duck- anyone know what it is?

A Mute Swan enjoys some seeds

A Dunnock- I hadn't seen one for ages!

A very angry-looking Tufted Duck!

Mixed flock of Gulls

A Great Crested Grebe swims past Black Headed Gulls

Swimming past a huge sheet of ice

I was not happy when one man threw huge chunks of bread into the water, creating this feeding frenzy

Juvenile Mute Swan

First (female) Pochard I have seen on this patch!


I visited a local graveyard afterwards, the place where I had seen my first and only Hawfinch. Unfortunately, I didn't see any, but I heard calls of Blackbirds, Blue Tits and Goldfinches.

No comments:

Post a Comment