Pages

Sunday 11 March 2018

This Could Have Been My Patch!!!

10th March 2018
Today I went for a peaceful walk around St John's Wood, near where I used to live, and came across a historical graveyard, called St John's Wood Church Gardens. I realised it was a Local Nature Reserve (see my map on the right) and went inside. There were Squirrels all over the place, and took some rewarding shots by stalking them.

 I discovered that there was a wildlife area, which had mostly Squirrels running everywhere! Fortunately, there was one area called the Glade, which was full of bushes and trees, alive with birdsong. Suddenly, a tiny bird with a curved beak came out of one of the trees (I only saw it for a split second): my first Treecreeper! 

There were many other bird species as well, but if I still lived in the area, this place would definitely be my patch: it is amazing to see that even in central London, birds and other animals have learned to adapt to urban surroundings, and thrive there. Also, it is wonderful that councils and the Government have realised that wildlife is abundant in London, and have created many green spaces in which wildlife and people can flourish harmoniously.  


Grey Squirrel

Grey Squirrel eating a nut in a tree

 
Great Tit in the Glade


Blackbird in the Glade


Woodpigeon on the 'Five Senses Walk'

Afterwards, I got on a train and walked around South Acton, a nearby town having a massive redevelopment with blocks of flats and many parks.

A Redwing and Starlings on a school field

Redwing

 An artistic photo which I call 'Feral Pigeon in Motion'


No comments:

Post a Comment