Pages

Sunday 29 July 2018

Patch Update- 10th Trip to Barnes

26th July 2018
This was my 10th visit to my third patch, WWT London, where I was joined by another young birder from London, Arjun Dutta. After meeting each other, we headed straight to the Wader Scrapes Hide, with hopes of seeing our first Garganeys, which had been sighted the day before. 


 
Despite the hot weather, many Lapwing and a few Redshank were out and about

Female Emperor Dragonfly

Grey Heron

Common Blue


With no Garganeys seen, we walked to the Peacock Tower, where we got impressive views of Lapwing and many gulls. Suddenly, a duck with a white eyestripe and green and white wing stripes zoomed past- A GARGANEY! Unfortunately, I didn't get a photo, but we saw what we were looking for.


Juvenile Little Grebe

Female Tufted Duck with ducklings

A Canada Goose x Bar-headed Goose Hybrid


Digiscope shot of a Common Sandpiper


Egyptian Goose at the WWF Hide


After lunch, we walked down the west route to the Wildside Hide. Unfortunately, the Summer Route was closed, so we couldn't get to see most of the butterflies.

Female Pochard with ducklings

Female Pochard

Common Tern

Common Tern

Common Tern

I had a great day birding with Arjun, seeing my first Garganey and many butterflies, dragonflies and moths. Also, I saw my first Reed Bunting in London and on patch!

No comments:

Post a Comment