Pages

Thursday 16 August 2018

London Young Birders at RSPB Rainham Marshes

13th August 2018
I woke up early, I could head on a one-and-a-half hour journey to Rainham Marshes, an RSPB reserve, for a day out with other birders from and around London. When I got there at about 9:30, I met Calum Mckellar and Arjun Dutta again, as well as Samuel Levy, Alex Liddle and Ben Rumsby. I was also introduced to the site warden, Howard Vaughan, and we walked down the riverfront to see some estuarine birds.


A Budgerigar at the feeder!

Black-tailed Godwit

Black-tailed Godwits

Black-tailed Godwits

Many Gulls and Shelducks

My first shot of a Reed Warbler

Record shot of my first Grey Seal!


After birding by the Thames for a bit, we headed to the Shooting Butts Hide (what the hide was when the reserve was owned by the Ministry of Defence), and on the way we saw many wildfowl and a few Raptors, including a Kestrel and a Peregrine.

Mallards, Shoveler, Coot and Greylag Goose

Pochard

On the way to a viewpoint, we got amazing views of Bearded Tits, Marsh Frogs and even a green wing tagged Marsh Harrier! At the viewpoint we got amazing views of Canada Geese, Black-tailed Godwits, Ruff and many Black Headed Gulls.

Bearded Tit (credit: Calum Mckellar)

Bearded Tit (credit: Calum Mckellar)

Marsh Frog

Female Reed Bunting

Marsh Harrier with a green wing tag

Black-tailed Godwits with Black Headed Gulls

Little Egrets with waders

Canada Geese

Canada Geese

We then walked through a wooded area, seeing many butterflies and dragonflies. In the bushes there were quite a few warblers, including Blackcap and Chiffchaff.

Common Blue

Willow Emerald

Ruddy Darter

Marsh Frog

My first Linnet!


Linnet


Digiscope shot of a Barn Owl

Willow Emerald

We ran back to the visitor centre, because it suddenly started raining heavily! After lunch (it eventually stopped raining) I saw my first Whimbrels in Britain, and we went back down to the riverfront. Unfortunately, I had to leave early, and might have missed a lifer- a Caspian Gull which Arjun had found! However, I was standing outside the visitor centre for a bit, so I might have seen a similar bird. I won't tick it off my life list though! 




1 comment: