Pages

Saturday 21 October 2017

Provence 2016

30th May 2016
 Last spring, my family and I took a Eurostar train to the beautiful city of Avignon, southwest France. As well as ancient Roman walls and cathedrals, the area was screeching with Swifts, that had migrated from southern Africa. We walked around, noticing a small black bird watching my every movement.

 A Jackdaw conceals itself, high in the treetops 

We stood outside the city's cathedral, admiring the hundreds of swifts that danced above it. Eventually, they left to roost.

  
31st May 2016
On this day, we visited the Roman amphitheatre in Orange. We spent a good hour there, but as we left, I captured a Rock Dove by its nest, in the amphitheatre's walls.

A Rock Dove stands proudly outside its nesting area, in the artificial version of its natural habitat, cliffs 

Orange Station is home to many bird species. While we waited for a train to take us back to Avignon, Goldfinches darted about in the grass, and Tree and House Sparrows flew around the wires above the track. Train stations are great for birding!

 
 A decent shot of a male House Sparrow on a wire

2nd June 2016
After a day of walking around vineyards with no birds, apart from my first Redstart, we travelled around mountainous areas of Provence, which rewarded me with the chirping of Ring Ouzels and the quacking of Mallards on the river. We stopped at an area sealed by stone walls, protecting us from wild boars, to visit a honey farm. I did not come for the honey, though: my eyes were glued to a group of Swallows, flitting about the farm, as if playing hide and seek.

 
Hiding from its companions, this Swallow looked away from the camera, wishing not to be photographed!

We sauntered around various villages for the rest of that day. The next day we left: I was very happy with my sightings. I would love to visit France again and see more wildlife, in places such as the Camargue. 


No comments:

Post a Comment